Marriage is Love

      
Marriage is love.

Google Ad

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Do It Right, NOT Right Now

In a recent book by Joseph Galliano, Dear Me: A Letter to My Sixteen-Year-Old Self, Elton John writes in his letter that he wishes he'd lost his virginity earlier in life:

"My advice to you is to never chase love. It will find you when you least expect it. Have fun, have lots of safe sex and enjoy your sexuality. Be proud of who you are."

He continued: "I made a lot of mistakes. Stay away from drugs, they're a waste of time. Stand up for every human being's rights. Be loving, kind and strong. Set an example. You're going to have one hell of a life!"

Yeesh! I think about 20 little RED FLAGS went up while I read that excerpt. Ummm, okay, Elton John: way to be poetic and all sweet-sounding and what-not, but what kind of message is this for teenagers, really? Really???

Please, please, PLEASE, young people out there reading this: do NOT go out and lose your V-card for the sake of finding yourself!!! Trust me, you may think it's alright or it's safe or blah-blah-blah, but 9 times out of 10 the situation is not appropriate. I'm not your mother, you don't have to listen to me, and you're an adult who can make you're own decisions, but you're also probably still pretty young in the eyes of the world. I'll be the first to admit that I still have a lot to experience for the first time in this world; unfortunately sex isn't on that list.

Personal moment: I did it for the first time several years before I was ever in love. Bad idea.

They say to never regret what you do, and I try not to. But if there were ever one thing I wish could do over, it was waiting until it actually meant something to me--was with someone I cared a lot about. If you're in love in a good, lasting relationship, then that's one thing. However, following good ol' Elton and doing it to discover yourself is a definite BAD IDEA. Think about it, if you're in that situation with someone, about to cross that bridge, pause and think about this: "Next week/month/year (Oh yes, you will remember your first time a year later, if not more), am I going to look back on this moment and like what happened here?"

Elton John does make some good points about avoiding drugs, standing up for human rights, and being loving and kind, but you can do all those things without losing your virginity. Yes, if you go ahead and do it, MAKE SURE it's SAFE SEX. Always, always, ALWAYS use a condom! PERIOD!

Seriously, though, wait until the time is right, not right now.

Source: Pink News Article



DISCLAIMER: I do NOT support waiting until marriage to have sex. If we ALL waited that long, we'd never get it done. I'm just saying wait until it's RIGHT for YOU and it's with someone you want to be with. BE SMART and have some RESPONSIBILITY for your actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment