Marriage is Love

      
Marriage is love.

Google Ad

Thursday, April 16, 2009

National Day of Screaming as Loud as You Can

I'm all for the idea of shutting up to show how important we actually are, but I feel like silencing ourselves won't really help the issue. Friday should be "National Day of Screaming as Loud as You F$cking Can!" People show know we're here, and that we're being hurt and killed, not hiding behind our fears in silence.

I created the NDOS program for UT this semester (a monologue performance of student-created gay experiences--total success!), and the one thing I took away from it is that staying quiet is not the right approach. I can understand the logic behind it, but for one, trying to get a gay guy to shut up for half an hour is already impossible--why are we trying to suppress ourselves for a whole day?

Now, I'm not saying scream out profanities at those we hate and get all striking and offensive on people--not at all. Our screams for recognition should controlled and directed into constructive means, like the monologue performance. So many people attended the event that are not a part of the mother organization, the Lambda Student Union, and i feel that this was the most important part: people heard our screams.

So on Friday, I'm not going to be quiet. I'm not going to sit in silence. I'm gonna the whole damn world know what i have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment