Marriage is Love

      
Marriage is love.

Google Ad

Monday, September 21, 2009

"That's So Gay!" Is It Okay for a Gay to Say?

I had to throw all those rhymes in there, sorry.

Anywho, I read this article about some gay comedian I've never heard of who left the realm of the PC (surprise, surprise--he is a comedian, after all) and made a bunch of gay jokes about the lottery and other various topics. The writer of the article, among other things, addressed the concept of gay people possibly making too much fun of the gay community. I don't think this is true, especially for comedians.

I am ALL for globalization of PC, but let's get real--if we can't make fun of who we are, what fun are we? I don't get mad or offended when I hear some black guy--forgive me--African-American call another African-American a "nigga," implying the use of a very derogatory word, even in casual converation. I don't like the word, but I don't mind hearing it coming from a person of the ethnicity it is historically associated with. It would be completely different if I heard any other ethnicity shouting out that word at anyone, African-American or not, even in a positive connotation. It's not right for them to use it.

The same goes for the words "gay (as in stupid or silly or whatever)" or "faggot." I particularly don't like the word "faggot" and personally only to use it in a derogatory manner (only to describe myself when I'm angry with something I've done), but if I hear a LGBT person using the word for another LGBT person, especially in casual conversation, it's not such a bad thing to me.

This may sound childish, but "stupid" or "idiot" are technically just as offensive as "nigga" or "fag." They are all just words; it all depends on how you use them. Each person is entitled to his/her own opinion and use of those words. If you don't like hearing it, hang out with different people and move on with your life.

I think comedians especially should be allowed to use these kinds of words. It makes making fun of people funnier because of the stigma that comes with the words. Same rules apply: only African-Americans can say "nigga;" only gays can say "fag."

Moral: Wanda Sykes is set to make fun of whomever she so desires.


Pink News Article

No comments:

Post a Comment